Guard-X was founded in 1938 by Harold, Romain and Roger Patry, all of whom were born in Victoriaville. On October 25, 1943, Guard-X became incorporated as the current company "Guard-X Inc.".
From the very beginning, Guard-X Inc. stood out with a French Canadian invention called the "Guard-X Special". It was a glass globe loaded with 23 fluid ounces of carbon tetrachloride and a fuse melting at a given temperature. The product was revolutionary at the time and had the following 3 characteristics:
The triggering of an alarm
Fire damping (and, most of the time, extinction)
Its inventor was the Reverend Father Emile Cambron, a Jesuit physics professor and former rector at Sainte-Marie College in Montreal.
The manufacture and distribution of the Guard-X Special began in 1945 and the company was granted a patent in 1954. The advertising slogan for this invention was: "Discovers, warns and extinguishes the fire automatically". In fact, several articles could be read about it, notably in the newspaper Suburban News of St-Lambert, on January 11, 1951, where it was said that "the grenade Guard-X" saved Jean Lequin School from flames, as well as a mattress store.
It is common knowledge that religion was very present in the lives of Quebecers at that time. Some would even say that "religion led the world". Since Guard-X was on the lookout for all advertising, its leaders decided in July 1944 to pay for a radio drama entitled "The Adventures of Don Bosco". The first goal was to reach the religious community and the ecclesiastical public, majority at the time. The show aired Sunday night on CKAC. The financial results far exceeded the expectations of the company, as well as the educational and moral results.
Stopping at nothing, the Guard-X leaders then decided to continue on the same path, this time paying for the release of the radio drama "The life of Brother André". It was broadcast every Sunday night to CKAC, from September 1944, for 40 weeks. Guard-X took the opportunity to do a lot of publicity, reminding the public: "Do not sin by negligence". That says everything!
It was also in the 1950s that the company manufactured the disposable portable fire extinguishers commonly known as "Guard-X Cans". These small aerosol cans were sold in industrial quantities. However, in 1985 they were removed from the market because of the harmful effects of halon on the ozone layer.
In September 1975, following the death of her husband, Mr. Roger Patry, Mrs. Pierrette Patry became the owner of Guard-X. In March 1976, her brother, Yvon Verville, took the position of Director and Vice-President of the company before acquiring all the shares in December of the same year. Yvon Verville had been working for Guard-X since 1972 at that time.
Denis and Guy, both sons of Yvon, joined the company in 1978 and 1982 respectively. Denis holds a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from École des Hautes Études Commerciales, while Guy is an Electrical Engineer. An expansion began and the company embarked on a new path, the fire alarm. Guard-X then had about ten employees. It was at that time that the company put forward its brand image, the famous firefighter's logo, a distinctive image and recognized throughout the Greater Montreal.
In 1995, Guy and Denis acquired Guard-X Inc. Their mission was to provide a quality and complete fire protection service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.