When it comes to fire safety, prevention is key. Simply owning a fire extinguisher isn’t enough. You need to protect yourself by learning about the best practices to follow and what mistakes to avoid, especially when it comes to cooking. In fact, according to the Ministry of Public Security, nearly 30% of all residential fires in Quebec start in the kitchen. To ensure you don’t become a statistic, the experts at Guard-X have put together some important fire safety tips.
Kitchen Safety Tips and Considerations
When preparing meals, follow these guidelines to stay safe:
- Only turn on the element when you’re ready to use it
- Don’t put pizza boxes or other cardboard containers in the oven
- Store dish towels, grocery bags and other flammable items away from the stovetop
- Keep a close eye on food that’s cooking
- Use a deep fryer instead of a pot for frying food
- Match the pot or pan size to the size of the element
- Clean your stove regularly to prevent grease buildup
- Turn pot and pan handles away from the front of the stovetop
- Keep pot lids within reach
How to put out a kitchen fire
Did you know that overheated cooking oil is one of the leading causes of kitchen fires? If you have an oil fire in your kitchen, don’t attempt to put it out with water. This will only fuel the flames and cause the fire to spread. In addition, don’t attempt to move the pot or pan as you could accidentally spill or splash the burning oil.
If the fire is small and manageable, carefully turn off the heat source. Your next step should be to starve the fire of oxygen. Depending on the situation, you can do this by leaving the oven door closed or covering the pot or pan with a lid. If you’re unable to smother the flames, you can use a portable fire extinguisher, as long as it’s designed for Class B fires.
If the fire continues to grow, evacuate you home immediately and call the fire department.
Guard-X: your partner for quality fire protection
As the leading fire safety specialist in Montreal, you can count on Guard-X to keep the occupants in your home or business safe. We sell, install and inspect fire protection equipment and security systems including surveillance cameras and alarm systems. Contact us to find out more about our products and services.